The house isn't in too bad of shape once we leave.
| Molly was being pretty obsident, I guess she just didn't want to leave. |
After we finally get going, we are just about to the highway and I see the Angle Oak. I figured the girls wouldn't mind seeing this tree. I guess it is one of the oldest, and has the most rules of any tree in North America. I was surprised you could take its photo.
Soon we are back on the road and heading out of SC. The traffic isn't too bad, until we are about 30 mins from my Mom's house( stopping for a quick lunch). But we get lucky and Elijah has to use the restroom, so I stop fill up the car and use the GPS to find an alternative to the highway. It works out and by the time we re-enter the expressway the traffic is mostly cleared.
We arrive and say hello again to all. My mother makes us some rubins, which despite the fact that they are filled with sauerkraut, they aren't too bad. I opt for a grilled ham and cheese instead.
We eat visit and I use the computer to look for a stop for dinner along the way.
It was a nice break, but we have to continue the road trip to get to our destination on time, The Holiday Inn in Whythville.
The ride back was mostly ok. Traffic was fairly decent, just a few stops here and there. The kids were mostly behaved, just a few out burst about dropping this or needing this, or wanting to watch that. But soon enough we get to Chili's for dinner.
It was a bit busy, but I have a gift card, I was was told it was only 30 minutes to wait. Well after we hit the 45 mark. I begin to get antsy. Wifey already had to take Stella outside, as she was getting out of hand. At one point when I go to find them, I see Stella on the sidewalk face down crying and Kris just arms crossed watching and shrugging.
Eventually I get a manager to see what's the hold up. After 5 minutes short of an hour we finally get a seat. The waitress was nice and apologetic, especially when the beer I ordered off tap was out. Dinner was good otherwise. They did comp us a few kids meals. Nice gesture I guess.
We finally get back on the road, and looks like we won't be getting to the hotel until almost dark. So much for a swim. But really the pool was pretty small, and was full of people.
So we get to our room, and there are only 2 queen beds and no other pull out. I was sure I asked for a suite. But being tired, we make the best of it.
The 3 girls in one bed. Kris smooshed between the little ones . Big E and me in the other.
Soon we attempt some sleep. Its not long before Elijah kicks me once to many and I ask him nicely to stop. He tries to comply, but simply opts to put a few pillows down sleep on the floor at the foot of the bed. Ok, well more room for me I guess.
We do get some rest, but soon we all get a rude wake up call from Molly, somewhere in the 1-2am range. As she starts screaming for Mommy. Mom was able to sneak away earlier and slip into bed with me. I didn't even know till I was ripped from sleep by the shrieks.
Finally get her calmed down, and we try to get a for more winks. At this point I am beginning to battle insomnia. As I drift in and out, I have some very dark dreams.
Day 11..
Once morning finally comes, I can't quite shake the imagery from the
night before, but I feel pretty good non-the-less. Part of me wonders if
the hotel was haunted.
We get packed up and make our way to the free breakfast. It was roomy, and the selection wasn't too bad at all, and the food was tasty. They do have the pancake machine, so that is fun.
I think the endless pit(Elijah) over does it a bit. My last count was 4 pancakes, 1 egg, 1 sausage, 2 sweet roles, at least 2 glasses of juice and who knows what else. I cut him off after he makes a move for 5ths?
We get in the car make are way through the mountains.
The final section of the ride was pleasant.
They watch a movie. How to Train Your Dragon and I put in the Frozen soundtrack afterwards, to the boy's chagrin, and we sing them loudly even right through the tolls.
The curvy roads are fun, and the traffic is light. By 12:30 they begin asking for lunch. But we are less then 2 hours from home, and I think we can make it.
Nope.. The grumbling gets louder and even Kris gets in on it.
So finally I see the Flea Market at Hocking Hills. I figured it is a good place to stop eat and stretch our legs. I have passed this place a few times and never stopped. I figured the girls were old enough to listen and behave.
So we get there and drive around looking for a place to eat. Only one spot. An ice cream parlor, but they also have hamburgers and hot dogs and stuff.
It is run by a few older ladies, and it was slightly slow. But we get in just before a rush and are able to order ,pay and get a seat pretty quick. I take the kids around the little shop connected to the parlor, while the food is being prepared.
The rules are simple you can look all you want but if you touch, without asking first, you go back with Mommy. They mostly listen. After 15 minutes of browsing we head back to the table. Shortly thereafter the food is delivered and not spilled! Woohoo..
It wasn't too bad at all.
After lunch we walk around, and have to split up a few times for emergency potty breaks.
We finally get back together and continue to look around.
Stella had found a Bennie Baby she liked and I told her we could get it if she was good and after we got through the rest of the flea market. We were about 1/2 way.
Sadly no Bennie made it's way home. After we enter another shoppe, Kris and Elijah go look at some mineral and rocks. He has been into this more recently, so I let them have some time.
The girls begin to get out of control, spinning and yelling and not listening. I am by myself and don't feel like having to purchase a table full of breakables.
So I take them outside to sit in timeout quietly, at least until the other two are done. Well it only gets worse. They begin banging the chair against the wall, and being very loud. I give them one last warning, it lasts 3 seconds.
I finally see mother, and let her know it is time to go. Stella finally realizes she is not getting her toy and the sobbing starts. She refuses to move a few times. So carrying to the car is required.
Elijah did get a cool aqua marine stone, said to be from Afghanistan, so not all was lost.
Finally back in the car, and almost home.
The funny thing is the last 10 minutes, when we are in very familiar territory, the girls are busy in the back seat playing with toys and making themselves busy without asking for this or that every minute.
It isn't long until we are finally pulled into the driveway
Unload the car once again, and for the last time. And sort out our lives once again.
Goodbye vacation. Until next time!
1 comment:
Entertaining as always, Matt! I always look forward to your blog... and it sounded like a wonderful BIG family vacation, tantrums and all! The kids loved the pictures and are VERY jealous!
Post a Comment