Monday, June 17, 2013

HIlton Head '13 Day 1

Here we are another year another vacation. This year Ted has invited us, against all odds, to go back to Hilton Head with him.  It will be the 5 of us, Ted his two young adults, and Grandma and Grandpa.

Our destination is Marriott Barony Beach at Hilton Head SC.

The pre planning stage went pretty well. We plotted our usual stops at Clay Center in WV, Statesville NC to spend the night. Then this year I decided it would be nice to do 1 more overnight stop before we got to our week stay. We figured Columbia SC has lots of stuff, so I put another stay there for Saturday night.  With a short 3 hour drive from there to HH on Sunday.

Well that was the idea anyway, reality always has a way of rearing its ugly head of what would otherwise be  well founded plan.

Wednesday, 2 days before we are set to leave, as we are getting the chores and running around done, the unthinkable happens. At least, it never entered any part of my conscious mind, as to a potential problem.  I had just finished mowing the front lawn, and started trimming. When I noticed C.A.R.L.O.S. had escaped the back yard(I left the fence gate open), and was stuck on the side yard. I set the trimmer down and went to scold him. After being lead to the back yard to finish cutting the grass, I bent down to turn him back on, and I felt as if someone had stabbed me in the back.   As I lay there on the grass unable to move, let alone get up, I pushed the robomow's go button and sent him off for help. Needless to say he is no Lassie.

Long story short, after fighting the pain getting to the front door, without screaming, and getting help to the car later. We make it to the ER.  After 4 hours in the waiting room, and 20 minutes being seen. I get a shot of pain killer and steroids, and 2 scribes.

The next couple of days we are on again off again with vacation. Spoiler alert we go.. The plans themselves don't change much, except we get more company on the trip down. And for the first time, I don't drive. I'm not a great passenger, especially when sudden stops and bumps are mentally and physically uncomfortable.

After all the packing, fighting, crying(mostly not me), and very slow moving, we are off.

The car trip was actually not that bad, a few pills, and nice pillow and everything is rosy.

First stop Clay Center!

Ted, Austin and Brooke meet us there. We have a quick lunch and then they burn off energy. I'm not "allowed" to do much so I follow stumble along with the camera. 



Ding Dong the witch is dead.

 Chopsticks?

I command thee to STOP.

 Woo, dude, better open a window.

 I've heard of air guitar, but air harp?

 Negative Houston, we are not cleared for takeoff, there is a foot on the radar.

 Scoop, Scoop, Scoop. Yummy.
 Why hello you.
 There was quick 15min presentation on bubbles.
 Stella becomes a bubble!
 This is the most still Molly has ever stood.
 I was being attacked, and my hands were stuck supporting my wait, so I wouldn't fall over. As such I was helpless to fend off the decorations.



 Pipes
 I HAVE SO MUCH ENERGY!


Hurricane Machine.



So after we play around there for a bit more, we hit the road, next stop is in Holiday Inn Express in Statesville. NC.


We make good time and then look for a place to eat. We choose Appleebees. There is a bit of a wait, so I go out to take a short walk and stretch my legs. Before I know it Ted is chasing me down and making sure I am ok. Apparently I am the new Pops and in need of constant supervision.  Oh well.  We eat , and checkin  to the hotel, unpack, and hit the hay.


The hotel is pretty nice. We get the suite with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. 


Good night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely hilarious!!! Sorry about your back. The pics are great -- looks like memorable times are being made! Can't wait for the updates! Love, Susie :-)

Lynsay said...

So cute, love the the two princesses in the queen bed!

Anonymous said...

(Kristina says.....)
Susie this has been our most eventful start to a vaction yet!

Lynsay- Matt forgot to update that the 2 princesses were shortly separated as more bickering was happening than sleeping! :)